Monday, September 17, 2007

France Steps Up to the Plate!

What a difference an election makes. On Sunday, French Foreign Minister Bernard Koucher said that "the world must prepare for the worst" in regard to Iran and, when pressed, said that the worst was "war." See the Deutsche Welle's story. (Ah, the Deutsche Welle, that reminds me of when I used to listen to DW on a shortwave radio -- and the BBC, before I lost my trust in that service.)

While backing down a bit on Monday, France stuck to its guns pretty well, saying that since UN sanctions will never happen, a set of EU sanctions similar to those of the US are possible: see the International Herald Tribune.

Le petit Nicolas, as one of my French friends refers to the French President, is making quite a stir on the international scene. What a shame he wasn't around when the US had to serve the world and take out Saddam Hussein.

No comments: